10 Things We Are Proud of in 2016
Awards, medals, rankings, competitions, and lots of new beginnings at ITMO University in 2016. What a fantastic year! Turning challenges into opportunities? Bring it on! Here are some of the highlights.
This year, ITMO University became one of the leaders of Project 5−100, launched its very own science communication program, received a UNESCO medal, a QS-Apple award, and the title of "Rising Star" by Nature Index and much much more.
Let’s see how it all played out season by season.
- ITMO University among the Leaders of Project 5−100. All our hard work over the past several years paid off when ITMO U jumped to the top group of the Russian Academic Excellence Project, and also got awarded 900 million rubles in subsidies in 2016 to keep reaching new heights.
- ITMO Students take silver at ACM ICPC World Finals. Coached by legendary Andrey Stankevich, who received the ACM ICPC Senior Coach Award this year, our dream team made it past thousands of participants and took their prize spot next to MIT and just below Harvard.
- Nature Index names ITMO a "Rising Star". Tracking research at over 8,000 institutions worldwide, the index draws out countries and institutions "that are the players to watch." The authors noted that ITMO U "saw a leap of 184% in its WTC."
The Science of Fun. Over the year, ITMO U showed off its fun muscles at events like Geek Picnic, a weekend of science and technology on Elagin Island, and VK-Fest, one of the largest summer events in St. Petersburg. Rector Vasilyev, along with dozens of cycling enthusiasts, took his bike for a spin on World Car Free Day.
First in Russia Science Communication Program is launched at ITMO. Both online and face-to-face versions are now live and are training the next generation of science communicators tasked with making research transparent, accessible and understandable for the general public.
Admissions see unprecedented growth. In August of 2016, ITMO U saw a 25% jump in high school student applications. Some 7% of freshmen were foreign students. Over 200 freshmen were enrolled without exams as they were winners of Russian and international subject-specific contests.
- ITMO U receives UNESCO Medal. Rector Vladimir Vasilyev accepted the UNESCO Medal "Contribution to Development of Nanoscience and Nanotechnologies" in recognition of "the university’s outstanding achievements and merits in respect of development of nanotechnologies and fruitful international scientific cooperation in this field."
- ITMO University in Times Higher Education Ranking (THE) for the first time. And straight to the 351−400 group! The only two Russian universities ahead of us were Lomonosov Moscow State University and Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology. We also landed the 56th place worldwide in the Computer Science category. A newcomer to THE BRICS & Emerging Economies Ranking, we’re in the 27th position.
- A newly launched English version of ITMO U website Wins QS-APPLE Award. The bronze creative award for "Best International Website page" was awarded to our team at the QS-APPLE higher education conference in Malaysia.
- Vinogradov Center for Chemistry and Biotechnology at ITMO opens its doors. The combined entity will train over 300 students a year and is the launchpad for several international research and education teams.